CHAPTER SECRETARY POSITION DESCRIPTION
The Secretary must be a Surfrider Foundation Member, be able to commit 1-5 hours a week of work on behalf of the chapter, remain in the position for a 2-year commitment, and attend a chapter meeting and/or Executive Committee meeting at least every other month.
The Secretary is the glue that supports our Executive Team. This role includes attending and taking notes at chapter meetings and keeping us organized and on track. The ideal candidate will love the ocean, beaches, outdoors, and enjoy being part of a team that likes to have fun working together!
Here’s what we need you to do:
- Coordinate with the Chair and Vice Chair to prepare agendas for meetings.
- Take notes on meeting discussion and decisions, finalize with Chair/Vice Chair, and distribute to attendees in a timely fashion
- Maintain files on team shared drive, including organization and completion of chapter plans, in coordination with chapter leadership and program/campaign leads
- Correspond with outside parties as needed (e.g., partners, donors, elected officials) in coordination with other chapter leaders and program/campaign leads
- Coordinate with Surfrider National to ensure chapter leadership is aware of and accessing resources for information, training, and merchandise
- Attend chapter events to promote the chapter to existing and potential members and volunteers
- Coordinate with chapter leadership to ensure representation at regional/national conferences
- Contribute to the chapters’ website and social media pages in partnership with the Communications Coordinator
Skills that would be helpful:
- Attention to detail & good communication skills
- Knowledge of and experience using Google drives, documents, spreadsheets, email, forms, and calendar applications
- Creativity and interest in furthering the work of our local Surfrider chapter
- Experience working/volunteering for non-profit organizations
- Personal qualities include self-motivation and a collaborative, outgoing, and proactive approach
- Technical experience, especially with Google Suite & MS Office
- Access to a computer
If you’re interested please contact Kari Mueller at: