Surfrider’s OFR program highlights businesses that pledge to meet an ocean friendly standard, based on a comprehensive list of criteria. Ocean Friendly Restaurants make a pledge to use less plastic and take other steps to help protect the coast. OFRs are recognized by the Surfrider Foundation after the completion of the registration process.
Restaurants participating MUST follow the first four criteria:
AND choose a minimum of three of these criteria as well:
- Plastic straws are provided only upon request.
- No beverages are sold in plastic bottles.
- Discount is offered for customers with reusable cup, mug, bag, etc.
- Vegetarian/vegan food options are offered on a regular basis; and / or all seafood must be a ‘Best Choice’ or ‘Good Alternative’ as defined by Seafood Watch or certified as sustainable.
- Water conservation efforts, such as low-flow faucets and toilets, are implemented.
- Energy efficiency efforts such as LED lighting and Energy Star appliances are in place.
If you’re interested in joining the program, please contact Kimberly Williams at firstname.lastname@example.org.