Surfrider’s OFR program highlights businesses that pledge to meet an ocean friendly standard, based on a comprehensive list of criteria. Ocean Friendly Restaurants make a pledge to use less plastic and take other steps to help protect the coast. OFRs are recognized by the Surfrider Foundation after the completion of the registration process.
Restaurants participating must follow the first five criteria:
- No expanded polystyrene use (aka Styrofoam).
- Proper recycling practices are followed.
- Only reusable tableware is used for onsite dining, and disposable utensils for takeout food are provided only upon request.
- No plastic bags offered for takeout or to-go orders.
- Straws are provided only upon request.
And choose a minimum of two of these criteria:
- No beverages sold in plastic bottles.
- Discount is offered for customers with reusable cup, mug, bag, etc.
- Vegetarian/vegan food options are offered on a regular basis
- All seafood must be a ‘Best Choice’ or ‘Good Alternative’ as defined by Seafood Watch or certified as sustainable.
- Water conservation efforts, such as low-flow faucets and toilets, are implemented.
- Energy efficiency efforts such as LED lighting and Energy Star appliances, are in place.
Restaurants who meet all of the criteria are recognized as a Platinum Level Ocean Friendly Restaurant.
If you’re interested in joining the program, please contact Kimberly Williams at email@example.com.