Become A Volunteer Today
Below are some of the current volunteer opportunities where we need help. Our chapter is only as strong as its volunteer base. If you’re interested please contact Britt Bensen (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Lilly Hsueh (email@example.com). We’re expanding and always open to more volunteers! Email us if you have questions or if you are interested in contributing in a different way.
Volunteers Currently Needed
Secretary – The Secretary is the glue that supports our Executive Team. You will help coordinate with our Chair and Vice Chair to prepare agendas for meetings, take notes on meeting discussion and decisions, coordinate with chapter leadership to ensure representation at regional/national conferences, and overall help further the work of our local Surfrider chapter and partnership with Surfrider National.
Event Coordinator – The Events Coordinator manages and organizes Surfrider chapter events, coordinates with Program Leads to identify event opportunities, and manages external event requests in collaboration with other leaders to determine Surfrider SMC involvement. We are also looking for a person who knows the Coastside and Bayside well to throw 2-4 events per year, including fundraising and/or auctions.
Newsletter Editor – Help keep our chapter members informed and connected! The Newsletter Editor will oversee and coordinate our bi-monthly newsletter, soliciting articles for the newsletter from Surfrider SMC’s executive committee members and Program Leads, editing text submitted for publication, and writing articles as required.
Program Team Members – We’re looking for team members to join our leads as extra support for the following Programs:
- Ocean Friendly Restaurants (OFR) – Join our Ocean Friendly Restaurants team to help coordinate and engage with local restaurants in San Mateo County to get certified as Ocean Friendly. Volunteer time is flexible and looking for folks to try to connect with 1 restaurant a month.
- Blue Water Task Force (BWTF) – Join our Blue Water Task Force team to spread awareness of water quality in our local communities.
- Policy – Join our policy team to get more involved in coastal policy initiatives
- Volunteer – Join our Volunteer team for to be more active in volunteer engagement, community involvement, and to lend a helping hand where needed in each Program (Blue Water Task Force, Beach Clean-Ups, Tabling, Events)
- Fundraising – Join our Fundraising team to help ensure Surfrider San Mateo County can continue to do our great work year after year
Join The Largest Network Of Coastal Defenders In The World
Our volunteers are the lifeblood of the Surfrider Foundation. Join our network and help us tackle the issues that face our ocean, waves and beaches. Enter your information below and we'll connect you with the nearest Chapter or Club in your community.